Switzerland is a stunning destination to visit in the winter, with its picturesque alpine landscapes, charming villages, and a wide range of winter activities. Here are some of the best places to visit in Switzerland in winter 2023:
- Zermatt: Zermatt is famous for the iconic Matterhorn mountain and is a top destination for skiing and snowboarding. The car-free village is filled with cozy chalets, and you can enjoy stunning views of the Alps.
- St. Moritz: Known for its luxury and glamour, St. Moritz offers excellent skiing, snowboarding, and ice skating. You can also experience the famous Cresta Run, an adrenaline-pumping toboggan track.
- Interlaken: This charming town is an excellent base for exploring the Jungfrau Region. You can take a cogwheel train to Jungfraujoch, known as the “Top of Europe,” for breathtaking panoramic views.
- Lucerne: Lucerne is a beautiful city on the shores of Lake Lucerne, surrounded by snow-capped mountains. Visit the Old Town, the Chapel Bridge, and take a boat trip on the lake.
- Davos: Davos is renowned for hosting the World Economic Forum but is also a fantastic winter sports destination. Skiing, snowboarding, and cross-country skiing are popular activities here.
- Grindelwald: Nestled in the Bernese Oberland, Grindelwald is a picturesque alpine village and an ideal base for exploring the Eiger, Mönch, and Jungfrau mountains. It’s perfect for winter hikes and sledging.
- Laax: Laax is a trendy snowboarding and freestyle skiing destination with one of the best terrain parks in Europe. It’s a great place for winter sports enthusiasts.
- Verbier: Verbier is known for its vibrant apres-ski scene and extensive ski terrain. It’s part of the 4 Vallees ski area, which offers plenty of opportunities for skiing and snowboarding.
- Zurich: Switzerland’s largest city has a lot to offer in winter too. Explore its Christmas markets, ice skate on Lake Zurich, and enjoy the cultural attractions.
- Engelberg: Engelberg is a quaint mountain village with excellent skiing and snowboarding options. It’s also home to the stunning Engelberg Abbey.
- Montreux: Montreux hosts a famous Christmas market and is beautifully located on the shores of Lake Geneva. The Chillon Castle, located on an island in the lake, is a must-visit.
- Arosa: Arosa is a serene and family-friendly destination with a charming village atmosphere. It offers great skiing and winter hiking trails.
Make sure to check the current travel and COVID-19 restrictions before planning your trip, as they may change. Additionally, Switzerland’s winter weather can be unpredictable, so be prepared for cold temperatures and snowfall during your visit book cheap flights to Switzerland.